How To Use MS SQL Reporting Tool?
SQL is the standard language for relational database management systems. It stands for Structured Query Language. Through SQL, users can create, edit and run queries on a SQL database. Users can create reports of the results achieved through running queries in SQL. These reports are a sorted and organized collection of the results obtained through the entire exercise. In this blog post, you will learn to create a SQL report by using MS SQL reporting tools. Follow the steps below to create a report server project on MS SQL.
Step 1: Create
- Launch SQL Server Data Tools.
- Click on the File button, and locate “New” and point at it. Click on the “Project” button you see.
- In the New Project window, on the left, you will spot a menu pane. Click on “Installed”, mouse over to “Templates” and then “Business Intelligence”. You will see “Reporting Services”. Click on it.
- Click on “Report Server Project”. Type in a name for your project, then click on “OK” to create a project.
Step 2: Connect
- Find the “Report Data” pane, and click “Data Source” under “New”.
- Ensure that you have selected “Embedded Connection”.
- Select “MS SQL Server” in “Type”.
- Type [ Data source=localhost; initial catalog=AdventureWorks2014 ] in “Connection String”.
- Select “Windows Authentication” with “Credentials”.
- Click “OK”.
Ste 3: Define
- Select “Dataset” under “New” in the “Report Data” pane.
- Type a name in the box, and click “Use a dataset embedded in my report”.
- Select data source created in step 1.
- Enter “Query Type” text.
- Type the Transact-SQL query.
- Click OK.
Step 4: Add
- Use the “Table” option in the “Toolbox” menu to draw a table.
- Use the “Report Data” pane to expand the dataset.
- Use the drag function on the mouse to set various fields in the table cells.
- Click “Preview” tab.
Step 5: Format
- Point at the value in any cell you wish to format, then right click.
- Select from the list of drop-down options the kind of formatting you wish to apply to values in the cell.
Step 6: Group
- Activate “Design” tab.
- Drag various fields to “Row Groups” setting to start grouping.
- Mathematical functions can be launched through “Design” view.
Follow the steps above to create MS SQL report by using various tools.